WELCOME! The Haven for your interest in joining our life-saving team of volunteer angels. Our friendly volunteers come from many backgrounds and have an array of skills and talents that help us acheive our mission. We are grateful to them and look forward to getting to know you.
Getting envolved in our cause is simple and can be very rewarding. Please review the process on becoming part of our team below. If you have any questions, please do not hesitiate to email us or call us at 251-929-3980. Your time and talent will help us create and sustain a no-kill Baldwin County!
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER - STEP ONE/REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- No record of assault, violent criminal offenses and/or weapon charges
- No record of illegal drug charges of any type in past 10 years
- No record of sexual related charges
- No record of theft or robbery charges
- No record of forgery or identity theft
- Must agree to a criminal background check
- Agree to attend Volunteer Orientation (you will be contacted following receipt of your completed volunteer application)
- Able to commit to scheduled volunteer shifts
- Some volunteer programs requires a variety of physical duties, including but not limited to, standing for long periods of time, lifting/carrying up to 50lbs., bending, squatting, climbing, balancing, kneeling, and crawling.
- Must possess a positive attitude, as volunteer programs work directly with staff, shelter visitors, Resale Shop customers, vendors, and other volunteers.
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER - STEP TWO/VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER - STEP THREE/ORIENTATION
Our orientation will provide you more information on "what we do" at The Haven and "how you will play a role" in saving the lives of homeless animals. This is also a great time to come and see the shelter from behind the scenes as our staff will be happy to give you a personal tour of the facility. The orientation lasts about one hour.
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER - STEP THREE/SCHEDULING
The Haven has several volunteer programs where volunteers are required to commit to a schedule. These programs are: Dog Walking, Resale Shop, Pet Photography, Canine Obedience Program, and Fantastic Feline Program. Without our volunteers committing to a schedule we would not be able to provide a service to our animals. Some programs require that you commit to a once a week two-hour shift, for a period of at least three months. When you are wrapping up your volunteer orientation, our staff will speak with you about scheduling depending upon the volunteer programs you selected. If you are unable to make your shift, we do ask that you contact notify us in advance.
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER - STEP THREE/TRAINING
The Haven will provide training for the volunteer programs that require training before you can begin. These sessions are designed to prepare our volunteers with the knowledge and tools that they will need in order to be successful.
Again, thank you for your interest in helping our homeless pets find life-long loving homes and creating a no-kill Baldwin County. We look forward to meeting you.