The main objective of this program is to provide exercise, training and socialization to
· Engage in positive reinforcement training that will mentally stimulate dogs as well as encourage the dogs to display desired behaviors.
· Communicate and cooperate with all Haven and City of
· Exercise approved dogs in the required locations which is explained to volunteers during orientation.
· Teach the dog how to walk properly on a leash without pulling or tugging.
· Teach the dog how to sit while in their kennels using positive reinforcement and dog kibble placed in each small stainless steel container located on each dog cage.
· Teach the dog to calmly exit out of their cage
· Observe dogs and document any behavior, medical or other concerns that arise about the dog.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Must be willing to understand, learn and utilize positive reinforcement training.
- Positive and friendly attitude and enjoy working with animals
- Experience handling dogs preferred.
- Physically able to handle large dogs.
- Have good communication skills and be a team player.
- Willingness to clean up dog waste in the side yard, on the street and in the kennel
- Volunteer Orientation and Dog Walking Program Orientation
- Must be able to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per month
- Not to exceed more than 3 hours per week and/or 8 hours per month.
- Must volunteer for a minimum of 3 consecutive months
- not to exceed 4 hours per week or 8 hours per month.
Days & Hours Needed
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday*
- Shift 1: 8:00a-10:00a
- Shift 2: 10:00a-12:00p
- Shift 3: 12:00p-2:00p
- Shift 4: 2:00p-4:00p
* A minimum of 30 minutes or maxiumum of 2 hours a day in any of these time blocks is required